ESL Study Guide

Monday, February 08, 2010

put on

put on
put on & puts on
putting on

put on

1. put... on p.v. When you place something on or apply something to your body, you put it on.
I put on my new dress before going to the party. Eric forgot to put suntan lotion on, and now he's as red as a lobster.

2. put... on p.v. When you place something on or apply something to another surface, you put it on.
I put the book on the table.
Jerry put too much fertilizer on his lawn, and now he has to cut it twice a week.

3. put... on p.v. When you attach or affix something to another thing, you put it on.
The Wilson’s put a new roof on their house last year.
I told the tailor to put red buttons on the dress he's making for me.

Did you see Mike? He's put on so much weight that I didn't recognize him. I need to go on a diet. I've been putting on a lot of weight lately.

4. put ...on p.v. When you organize or perform something for other people's entertainment, such as a play or a concert, you put it on.
The club put on a show to raise money for the party.
That opera hasn't been put on in more than 200 years.

5. put.. .on p.v. [informal] When you put people on, you kid or tease them.
You won the lottery? You're putting me on!
Don't put me on — tell me the truth.
put-on n. Something done with the intention of fooling or deceiving people is a put-on.
He didn't really win the lottery. It was all a big put-on to impress his girlfriend.
put... on p.v. When you put on weight, you gain weight.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home